Friday, August 3, 2012

Hand-making my invitations

So after searching the internet for the exact invitations I wanted, I found out that I have very expensive tastes:  lace invitations.

Our theme of delicate lace and cream-white-ivory-pewter color scheme just seemed perfect for these types of invitations.

So hand-made invitations it was.

I bought the paper and lace with coupons (or otherwise on sale) at hobby lobby and from then on glued, glued, and glued some more.

I also knew that people may want to hang the invitation on their fridge, so from the beginning, i knew the invitation itself would have to pop out of whatever I constructed.

In Microsoft Word, I wrote out the invitation and went around the web to find my favorite cursive font (Kunstler Script).  I used "small case" of Bell MT as well. I then went through the painstaking task of finding a background. We tried lace backgrounds, flowers of all sorts, and settled on queen anne's lace.

A trip to Staples them all printed up.

Designed and printed, I placed them into hand-made tabs.  Well, sort of handmade.


This punch out gave me ruffled circles.  I cut 4 corners from them and glued them to black paper photo corner tabs.  The tabs were secured to the pearled paper and the invitation slid into these tabs.  Perfect!


Next I had to make the "case" to hold this beautiful matted invitation.  I choose grey because of the beautiful contrast.  I cut a 12 x 12 into two major pieces: a 12 x 7 and a 5 x 7.  I then made little pockets for the RSVP cards.


 And then everything had to dry.... and dry... and dry some more.

Having secured the lace to the grey paper before doing the rest of the inside gluing, all I had to do then was fold them up, tie them with ribbon and put them in an envelope.  I added paper doilies to the inside of many of the envelopes.



And there it is!  Invitations that I LOVE.......  but that took a LOT of time.  But, hey, I'll only get married once!

No comments:

Post a Comment